Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My abuse of alcohol

Raising a family , is there an end? I no longer have any control over my children and their day to day lives but I do have concerns about them so how do I share those thoughts and remain neutral? This is a hard one and I find I want to shout this from the roof. Today finds me knee deep in concern about the amount of alcohol my adult kids and their father consume. They know drinking is a big problem for our family. Our family, both sides included has a history of abusing alcohol. I avoid drinking because in the past if I have ever been drinking it was for one purpose alone, to get drunk! Drinking put me in many situations that were it not for the grace of God I would be dead or worse yet responsible for the death of someone else. Truth in fact alcohol has very dangerous effects on me, as a young woman I had alcohol poisoning due to the quantity of alcohol and the the time frame in which I consumed it, I thought I was going to die and really didn't care if I did.
I talked with my Dad about drinking because I never saw him drink in my teens or later years , when I asked him about it he was honest. My father told me drinking always brought about destruction for him, he said,"sister I don't drink because when I drink the first one I am not satisfied till I am drunk beyond reason."My Dad was a great man but he understood he own weaknesses and what many men do not, there are some things better left alone.
I am writing this today as a plea to my family......all of you husband, children and your friends, nieces, nephews, in-laws, cousins, and siblings, please stop ! The use of alcohol is very destructive for those who do not have good self control and we have history that says we should avoid it.
I personally have done many shameful things while under the influence. Acts of indecency and lewdness. I have cheated and lied, I have fallen down and found myself wearing my own vomit. I have had sex when I was to drunk to say no and really no defense to stop another from using me because of how very out of control I was due to intoxication. I have driven when I could have killed myself or others. Every really reprehensible thing I do not want to reflect on I can attribute to doing while under the influence ! So Please take heed and stop drinking to save your own self from feeling these feelings of embarrassment or better yet stop before you make a decision that could put you in jail because you have injured or been the reason someone else has died! Yes it is that serious! Their is a line too that once you cross the chice becomes less yours and that lie has destroyed many a person and too many families to count! I want my words to help someone, so please pass this along, I find being human helps us all in the long run! I am free and I want others to walk in that same freedom!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Pam, I would like to add my plea to yours. My whole life has been effective my alcohol. My family was split from alcohol. I didn't have a father because of Alcohol. My sister is dead because of Alcohol. My brothers life changed forever because of Alcohol. My nieces and nephew won't have a mother because of alcohol. Now, everyone has the gift of free will. Everyone can say stop. There are those that are blind to their addiction. So, I believe we should share our sight to others. So, here is my sight. I have seen many abuse Alcohol. I don't know how to tell someone to stop when it is abused because it needs to be your choice! But, look at me, I have barely drank in my life and my life will NEVER be the same because of the decision of others. If you want to know the evil of drinking, please talk to me about watching my sister of only 29 dying on a hospital bed as her family watched her take her last breath. If you put poison in your body where do you think it goes!? Please if you think you having a drinking problem, ask for help! I wish I could have done more to save my sister. I think the question everyone should ask yourself is "why do you drink?"

    ReplyDelete