Friday, November 16, 2012

Family

My words bring comfort to me. Call me egocentric if you must but I read the things I write over and over. I suppose this is me trying to see who I am. I am a woman of simple means and a simple heart wanting to give ease to all that hides within. I have the desire to write something that will help others as I help myself. I am one of the few who will place words on page even when I feel scared of what may come out.
This week found me sitting with my extended family due to our loss of a loved one. I was happy to be reminded of my beginnings and the people from which I came. My family are ordinary and profound all in the same breath. These people whom share my father's DNA are a beautiful lot. They have so much more than meets the eye. If you beheld their material possessions you would not be impressed. If you were to judge them by their degrees you might think us a simple bunch.  If hearts are what you find  beautiful then these people would make you feel at home.
My family of origin has deep roots in our christian heritage and this is where our peace comes from. The gift of faith is the best gift we can hand down to our children. My faith has seen me through many troubles too numerous to mention. My heritage of faith lets me have peace when I must say goodbye for that finale time to a loved one. People make fun of folks like me but I really don't mind, you cannot make fun of something you do not understand. My family is quirky and strange , my family is honorable and sure. Family is our foundation and offers us a place to feel normal and accepted. Family is a great place to belong. My family gives me the courage to be me.
Writing is like my family and the page my home. My words give expression to the things that expose me and those who read my words are somehow related to me through kindred notions and feelings and thought. I am going to spend my days giving expression to all that hides in my mind. My hope is that my mind never feels at a loss or my heart unable to express it's deepest  fears and joys or sorrow. So here I will make family out of strangers who find our likeness are greater than our differences. Here I will capture my life as I see it, here I will find the courage to become all I can within the safety of my "family".

No comments:

Post a Comment