Monday, October 10, 2011

My Mother

Growing up I had a difficult time in my home! I was quiet and easy going among a tribe of Indians. My 4 brothers were strong and able, smart and handsome, my sister was 8 years older and more of a mother figure, she was a great athlete too and never at a loss to share her opinion. My Mother and Father were young when they married and filled their home to well over its capacity. My Father was my buddy we were kindred in spirit and he always saw that I was cut from a different cloth than my Mom and sister. Mom and I never saw anything eye to eye, so it made for a very complicated relationship at best. Growing up I did not value many things about Mom, I was very critical and angry for the most part and she was the focus of most all my anger.

Well in time all things change ! I have a respect for her I never thought possible. My Mom has overcome so many of life's trials, ones that most people can't imagine. My Mother has overcome losing my father , her parents and many siblings along with countless friends. She has overcome a bypass surgery of 5 vessels in her heart only 16 years later at the age of 76 to have a major stroke and almost fully recover from that. This woman who the neurologist told me would never live independent again well she dares to defy all the odds against her and she has pushed her body past the limits anyone thought possible! She amazes me, if I am 1/2 the woman she is I will accomplish many things in my life and I didn't mention her raising 6 children and all the accidents and ER visits and hospital stays that included. She has also accompanied her grandchildren thru many scary situations , medical and other wise, even driving great grandchildren to hospitals in other states for care. I came to my Mom to deliver the news that I have a gay child and this farmers daughter and truck drivers wife with 4 heterosexual sons said well I love him and I will be here for him as long as I have a breath in my body. She gained my respect there , deep down I was afraid she would reject him and thereby me but no she didn't. Part of me thought she would wonder if I failed as a Mother but she still to this day she I am one of the greatest Mothers she knows! Well I will have to say I am only what I am because I was raised by a woman who made her family her life. My Mother is strong and confident and she makes me feel like I have a lot to live up to and I feel proud of her and I just wanted to put into words how very much I respect her and love her! God is a good God because He has opened my eyes to see something more beautiful in her , her faith in me has made me want to be more ! Her love and unyielding faith in me have dominated my life and made me better. I thank God for all He gave me in Betty Kate Ray Beauchamp and I would not change a thing, she is the best Mother ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment