Tuesday, December 6, 2011

As brain disorders go !

Today I saw my neurologist, blessed am I to have this woman treat me and really care about me. I explained to her how much trouble I am having with my speech and coordination , memories and forgetfulness. She put my heart and mind at ease. Every symptom is the result of seizures I am having right in the moment. Let me let you all in on something that I wasn't aware of, all my life I have had the kind of seizures that put me on the ground, loss of consciousness and loss of all body functions, but only for about a minute. My recovery time 2 days of sleeping and rest. Truth be told because I did not have convulsive body movement I always thought they were not as bad as lots of other people but I throw up while unconscious , defecate and urinate all without any ability to control when and where and how. I have been able to keep others from ever witnessing them by running to the bathroom just before my seizure hits, because I am one of the lucky ones I have an aura or warning, mine is a sinking feeling in my gut.
Well I have heard of partial seizures but never considered them as part of my disorder and to be truthful it has only been this year that I have allowed myself to say the word epilepsy when referring to my illness, seizure disorder sounds much nicer. Funny how family will help you live in denial because we never want to say out loud the word " Epilepsy"or it may be true. Well I am now actively having partial seizures which are the reason for the post made earlier this week. Partial seizures do not throw me to the ground but they affect my speech and memory, even make me weak and sleepy just as if I had a grand-mal seizure. My fear and anxiety levels have been on overdrive as a direct result of this. The change in my disorder has a direct correlation to the hormone levels dropping due to peri-menopause. Relief is in sight if I can get the correct medication to keep the seizures in check. I am on the mend. I will be having an MRI because of weakness and slower response on my right side, this test can also reveal if I have a lot of scarring due to past and present seizures. So the journey into my brain continues and I am its captive audience, feel free to join me on my expedition ! Happy days are here again !

1 comment: