Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sober Living

I am awakened today by one of the most sobering thoughts I have ever had. I am losing my parents to age, time and illness. My father died at 52 and at the time he seemed old but as I approach my 51st birthday this year , not so old ! So when my father died he was as able bodied as any man I have ever known, even to this day. There was no slow decline he died suddenly in his prime of a heart attack. Our surviving parents have been given over to the decline of age and time and it seems to have happened while we weren't looking. I suppose it happened while we raised our own family.
Brad and I have been blessed with a great support system all our lives. Never could we do anything the would result in the loss of love from our parents. If ever we had a need we knew they were there. Our parents are noble people who take care of family and each other. Our families are close because our parents have worked to keep it that way. The strong have been weakened and it is sad to me. It is sad that the people who were our leaders and protectors have become less than all those things.
I am dealing with my sorrow that in the near future we will be saying goodbye. I am overwhelmed at times by the sadness of losing them. I come to this page to begin my grieving so I can be strong for those around me. I am going to squeeze in every moment I can, count my blessings and be grateful for all I have but all the while slowing preparing myself for the loss. Some may think I am crazy and I do not care what others think , this is me working out my life in a way that keeps me from falling completely apart when the time comes to let go. I respect these people more than any others I have ever known. I know their flaws and weaknesses and they know mine and we love each other in spite of them. How blessed am I that God gifted me with my Mom and Dad , and then with my Father and Mother-in-law. Brad's , Mom and Dad have been true parents to me and I am forever going to love them as my own flesh and blood! I am truly grateful for my family , both sides and I will celebrate that love all the days of my life. I come to the page to work out my life and it may not always be comfortable but this is me. Sobering is the thought that crosses my mind when I realize I must someday let go of the people I love most in this world !

No comments:

Post a Comment